Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Sunlight Splattered Relics


Today I'd like to introduce Brooke Acres, the artist behind Sunlight Splattered Relics.  Brooke is originally from East Tennessee and settled in Middle Tennessee after traveling all over the country.  She is engaged to her boyfriend of 6 years and mama to a "very energetic two year old boy."

Brooke loves to upcycle / re-purpose "anything and everything."  She says, "I create lots of things out of old windows, doors, shutters and pallets. It is especially satisfying when I can turn something that one person would throw away into something beautiful and functional."

I asked Brooke how she learned her art, and she said, "I just sort of started doing it on my own. I do like to give credit to my awesome art teacher in high school though. She was the one that really encouraged my artistic side to come out. She always reminded me that art didn't have to be perfect and that it wouldn't really be that interesting if it was. The important part is that you have fun and enjoy what you are doing. For the longest time I was always critical of my work  even though I enjoyed making it. Her encouragement was what helped me to really enjoy and explore my creative side."            

 

She started out making gifts for family and friends because she really enjoys putting a lot of thought and love into a gift, "being able to actually create it, rather than just buying something off of a shelf."

Brooke says that her favorite part of her work is creating. "It's truly like therapy to me."  She loves working with all sorts of materials - anything from old windows, doors, shutters, pallets, broken chairs, door knobs, handles, glass bottles and more.   "I am also a henna artist. So, I will use henna techniques and designs in some of my work, too. I love earth tones! You will see lots of blues in my artwork."

Brooke finds inspiration in everything.  She says, "I see designs in rugs, signs, and clothes that I think I could re-create. I see color schemes in random things that I think would look good in a window. I see old broken chairs by a dumpster and think of multiple uses for it and how I could display it to bring it back to life in a new way."

Her art became a business after she started creating gifts for family and friends.  Brooke said, "I got asked to make things for their friends, and they made the suggestion because they loved everything that I made them."

Brooke's fiance helps her with the building side of things.  She says he's great with his hands and can put together just about anything that he puts his mind to.  "All I have to do it show him a picture or give a detailed description of what I want and he can make it. I always say he puts it together and I make it look good!"

She says her goals are "to continue to create and enjoy doing it. This is really more of a hobby for me. I do it simply because I enjoy it."  Brook says she would also like to learn to do stained glass, which I think would fit beautifully with her other items!


Brooke's favorite quote is, "For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone." - Audrey Hepburn

You can occasionally find Brooke at craft shows in the Middle Tennessee area, and you can always find her on her Facebook page (I've got to pin her down for a henna tattoo some day soon!) - www.facebook.com/sunlightsplatteredrelics

Thank you for the lovely interview, Brooke!

2 comments:

  1. Another great interview. I love learning about all of the local Nashville artist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Kris! Their pictures and stories have been beautiful!

    ReplyDelete