Wednesday, October 22, 2014

MynisaUnique


This week, I'd like to introduce you to Handmade Nashville jewelry maker, Melissa Molgaard of MynisaUnique.  Melissa is a UT grad (Go Vols!), originally from Memphis and raised in Houston.  She's been in Nashville for 6 years now. 

Melissa says she considers herself "kind of as a “Macguyver” of crafting – I can make anything out of anything.  Though jewelry is what I offer in my store, I also love to paint, enjoy making wreaths, headbands, flower arrangements, and the list goes on."  She says she probably inherited her artistic side from her crafty mom and graphic design dad but had several classes in high school.  "Other than that I am self taught."

When asked what drew Melissa to her work, she said, "I constantly was breaking my store bought, mass produced jewelry and eventually got fed up with it and said, I can make my own! So I took the pieces from my broken items and started fixing them, which eventually led me to completely transforming them into something new."


Melissa says she loves any and everything she can get her hands on for materials.  "I adore split rings and pliers though for sure!"  As far as colors?  "I love vibrant colors but also appreciate traditional tones that can be worn with multiple outfits."   She says Pinterest often sparks her creativity, which she of course, ends up placing her own twist on.

Though she doesn't know how her art turned into a business, Melissa says someone one day mentioned Etsy, and she just went for it and has loved it ever since!   With a busy work schedule, Melissa focuses mostly on her Etsy shop, but she does have items in the J & J Flea Market.  She attended several shows last year and said, "...the RAW artist showcase at the Cannery last April was a real treat!"  I think we'll be seeing her at more events in the Nashville area before we know it!


Melissa is surrounded by supportive friends and says she would love to "somehow, someway do this for a living. Whether it be by joining forces with other creative minds or getting my line in a store – it would be a dream come true!"  She has an interest in learning metal working, so her line is growing all the time!


Melissa's favorite quote is, “Live with Passion.”




You can find Melissa at:


Blog Tumblr - MynisaUnique

Twitter - @MynisaUnique




2 comments:

  1. Another great interview. So much talent in Nashville

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Kris! I'm really enjoying getting to know everyone this way!

    ReplyDelete